Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Magic Loop

So, yesterday I sat down with a sock knitting book determined to teach myself how to use the magic loop sock knitting method. I was just tired of struggling with a tangled mess of yarn and double pointed needles, and I have read about how much people love using the magic loop method and decided to try it out. Let me just say, I am in love!

This method makes knitting in the round so much easier and faster. What would normally take me a couple of days to knit has only taken me hours. It is an ideal method to use for socks containing lace or cable elements because the stitches are already halved, so all the pattern is only worked on one needle for the instep. I'm only knitting one sock at a time still, but I plan to learn how to knit two socks at a time using the magic loop method (no I'm not crazy, people really do it all the time!).

This method can also be used for other projects knitted in the round, such as mittens, fingerless gloves, and so on. However, I don't think I would recommend using this method for complex color work involving several colors. I would think the different yarns would be hard to keep from getting tangled even if they were on bobbins. Now, fair isle work only involving two colors wouldn't be too bad because my sister actually knitted a pair of Totoro mittens out of purple and gray yarn two circular knitting needles, but be warned if you try complicated color work it may end in disaster.

Now for some progress pictures of my Turkey Socks!!


I'm using just a basic sock pattern. I cast on 72 stitches, worked a K1P1 ribbing for 10 rows, and now I'm doing the rest of the sock in plain stockinette stitch. I didn't want to use a pattern with this yarn because I wanted to be able to enjoy all the colors and gradual changes. However, after knitting with it, it wouldn't look terrible with a subtle cable pattern. The yarn I'm using is Schoppel-Wolle Crazy Zauberball. I'm calling these my Turkey Socks because the yarn colors remind me of a turkey's feathers and Thanksgiving colors.

For those of you who want a tutorial on how to use the magic loop method for yourselves, here are some excellent links (because I'm no good at making up tutorials):

Knit Picks Free Magic Loop Tutorial
**This is a great tutorial with lots of pictures, and it's also got a free printer friendly version**

Knit Picks Free Magic Loop Video Tutorial
**This is a video tutorial for those of you who are like me and sometimes need an active visual to learn**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Knit me a Message :)